Pages

Monday, October 29, 2012

That's About the Size of It!

One evening, early this summer, I was enjoying a few moments of quiet on my front porch.  It's where I go to listen to my waterfall and wind chimes and to hear from God.  On this particular evening, I was watching the goldfish in my pond. My husband and son had built this pond for me a couple of years ago for Mother's Day.

In the pond are three goldfish.  We had purchased them from Wal-Mart several years ago when our son was younger.  When we got them, they were each less than an inch long. They were kept in a bowl on the counter and over about a year's time, they didn't seem to grow much at all.  Then, my husband built a tiny little pond in the back yard and we put the fish in there.  They grew a couple of inches while they lived in that pond for about 2 years.  Then, we built that much bigger pond by my front porch and moved the fish, once again, to a new home.  Since we put them in this pond, they have grown several inches.  They are quite beautiful and have developed shimmering white tails.

That summer night, as I sat there watching those fish, I sensed the Lord speaking to my heart.  He showed me how each time, as the fish were placed in new, unfamiliar environments, bigger environments, they grew. (I read later that gold fish actually grow according to the size of the space they are placed in.)  What if thats how it works with us? What if, when we allow the Lord to move us into new situations and circumstances, our faith grows or our dreams grow?  The Lord showed me that if I wanted to go grow spiritually and emotionally, I would have to allow Him to move me to unfamiliar and maybe even scary territory.  Had I become complacent and content with the condition of my heart, spiritually?  Had I stopped growing, feeling secure right where I was?

Little did I know, as I sat there that evening, how God's words about those goldfish would stir my heart again and again.  I couldn't have known that my summer would be full of new and scary and unfamiliar experiences.  But the Lord had prepared my heart.  He had shown me that if I was willing, if I would only trust Him, He would take me to and through new places that would cause me to grow; grow in my faith, grow in strength and most of all, see miracles of complete restoration and healing in relationships that would change my world, as I knew it.

My dear friend, if you are facing new and uncertain circumstances, if God is leading you to higher ground, it's only because He wants you to grow.  Each time you allow Him to take to to a new place, you will experience glorious and beautiful growth.  He wants you to expand the borders of your heart and walk out your dreams and hopes.  He will surely walk with you and cover you with grace. Don't let the fear of growth and change hold you back from experiencing all that God has for you in this life.  

From His Lap,




18 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I have bookmarked and look forward to reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for tweeting my post!! I hope the Lord blesses you as you read it!

      Blessings,
      ~Erin

      Delete
  2. This is a beautiful post! It is funny how can can speak to us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm so glad it blessed you!
      ~Erin

      Delete
  3. Hi Erin, firstly I have missed you here and secondly, what a great post. Such a huge truth here. And God would never place us in the ocean first, no, first a small puddle, then a small pond, then a pool, lake, etc until the ocean. Great analogy.
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, it's good to be back writing again. Isn't God good and faithful, to allow us to grow as we are ready! I love you, sister!

      Blessings,
      ~Erin

      Delete
  4. SO glad to be hearing from God through you again. I am blessed!
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dianne, it's great to be back, writing again. God is good!

      Love you, sister!
      ~Erin

      Delete
  5. Hi Erin! I have to say I have missed your posts!! It's great to receive a GREAT word through you!! This post really hit my heart today and ministered to me in a huge way.( It seems I am being moved to a bigger pond) Thank you for sharing and once again I am so glad you are back!!!!

    Blessings to you
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey,
      I'm so glad to be back, posting again! Seems I was resisting the Lord moving me to a bigger pond. I'm excited to hear that God is moving you along on the path to the dream He has for you! Your kinds words are an encouragement to me!
      Blessings,
      ~Erin

      Delete
  6. Oh Erin, this was so good! I too have experienced God moving me in uncertain territory this Summer/year and although its been scary, I feel safe. And I'm growing. I call it my adventure with God. Thanks for this reminder as sometimes it gets tough not knowing what lies ahead. God Bless You!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is scary, Shannon! But when we know God is behind it, we can be assured that He won't leave us to walk the journey alone! He lets us hold His hand! You are such a blessing to me!

      Love you, sister!
      ~Erin

      Delete
  7. How timely for me to visit your blog today, it's been too long! God is doing exactly that in my life. I've been overwhelmed how the bigger the risk, the bigger the need for faith, the more exciting the victory when God accomplishes all he said he would do. I am at the outside of my comfort zone stage. I had never anticipated that God would widen my circle to include Serbia but he surely has and now I'm relying on him big time! Thank you for that timely word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beck, I'm so glad you stopped by! Isn't it exciting and a little bit scary when God is moving in our lives?! I know that He will use you mightily, whatever it is. You inspire and encourage so many people! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!
      Blessings,
      ~Erin

      Delete
  8. Hi sister Erin,
    I know we hardly know eachother but I noticed your name in my twitter feed today, went about my business, and kept thinking of you for some reason. So, I'm praying for you in Maine tonight. I don't know why. Be it for extra strength or added joy! And I just read this post... what wonderful true thoughts sister. ~ Blessings out, Amy from FullHerLife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, Amy, the Lord is good. I need prayers for encouragement right now. I'm so grateful He put me on your heart! Thanks for your prayers, sister!! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

      Blessings,
      ~Erin

      Delete
  9. nice post and blog thanks for sharing found you thrue other bloggers..blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear! I'm so glad you stopped by!
      ~Erin

      Delete

Thank you for giving us a little nugget of truth from your heart!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...